Sunday, August 5, 2007

New office finished and back on track (sort of)


We finally managed to cull through all the stacks of paper I'd accumulated in my former office. I learned something about myself: I am better off with a smaller office. I am teaching myself to use a trash can.

I'm a fanatic clipper--always snipping an article or fact collection for possible future pieces. I'm trying to save files in folders on my computer, and trying to keep a clip notebook so those finds stay in an organized place.

My new office is an interior room, and that will definitely work better for me. My old office had 7 windows. I shot the butterfly photo at top right one day when I was in the middle of a hair-raising freelance project. Same thing happened every time I saw a hummingbird. Had to jump up and take a looksee.

Years ago I did a story on a psychic. Wrote the piece for a newspaper. When I walked into her office, I was armed with my tape recorder, my notepad and a whole lot of skepticism.

Within minutes, Mary Green had turned me into a believer. For one thing, she started our session by asking me why I insisted on writing at a desk by a window. There were a few more tibdbits she tossed before tossing a whole loaf. "Congratulations."

"For what?" I asked.

"You're pregnant."

"No way," I said.

Five months later my husband and I welcomed our first child into the world.

Many years later, I realize I need to minimize distractions. Mary Green was right. The window view wasn't working out.

I'll be posting here five days a week on most weeks. Summer's on the wane and my freelance plate is full.

No comments: