Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Poem for the football season and Happy Thanksgiving


“Autumn Begins in Martins Ferry, Ohio” by James Wright is one of my favorite poems, especially this time of year. These lines are stuck in my head:
Therefore,
Their sons grow suicidally beautiful
At the beginning of October,
And gallop terribly against each other's bodies.
Wright’s poetry is remarkable. Read the whole poem and other info about Wright at the Academy of American Poets site.

I’ll keep his lines in mind as we gather to watch the Carolina-Clemson war on Saturday. Family, food, football and a balmy Florida sky make a perfect Thanksgiving for our crew. I’ll return to Creative Writer US after the holiday, unless something special breaks.

I hope you and yours have a lovely, safe holiday.

**I took the photo above Sunday. Two kayakers were heading out of the creek to the river. We took a thermos of coffee down to Mandarin Park to watch the boats come in.**

No comments: