Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Poem for the football season and Happy Thanksgiving


“Autumn Begins in Martins Ferry, Ohio” by James Wright is one of my favorite poems, especially this time of year. These lines are stuck in my head:
Therefore,
Their sons grow suicidally beautiful
At the beginning of October,
And gallop terribly against each other's bodies.
Wright’s poetry is remarkable. Read the whole poem and other info about Wright at the Academy of American Poets site.

I’ll keep his lines in mind as we gather to watch the Carolina-Clemson war on Saturday. Family, food, football and a balmy Florida sky make a perfect Thanksgiving for our crew. I’ll return to Creative Writer US after the holiday, unless something special breaks.

I hope you and yours have a lovely, safe holiday.

**I took the photo above Sunday. Two kayakers were heading out of the creek to the river. We took a thermos of coffee down to Mandarin Park to watch the boats come in.**

1 comment:

benny said...

Should there be a Salary Cap in Football?
Personally I think there should be! It’s just getting to be stupid money in football at the top of the premiership!
It’s always the same teams at the top proving that football success is based purely on money which ruins the idea of it being a sport! They’ve done it in rugby, basketball, hockey and American football and it makes the sports more competitive and better to watch!
I do a little Spread Betting from time to time and most matches don’t hold much surprise who is going to win, its boring! I want to see a team at the bottom pulling off an amazing season beating last seasons winners in a close fought battle!
Make things fair! It shouldn’t be about money!
Plus!
All there is all that money in the premiership and barely any of it stays in the UK so it’s not even helping the economy!
From my Spread Betting (or more precisely Football Spread Betting) if I ever win big (which is never, I’m unlucky) it’s still nothing compared to the average premiership players weekly wage!